In a state of rage, you are filled with bloodlust and an urge for action and violence. It is difficult to concentrate or to keep patient.
- -2 Reaction for the team. Even if you keep your mouth shut your bristling, pacing, and glaring is overtly hostile.
- +2 to mind-based saves, including charm-type spells and monstrous fear effects. However, if an effect instills an altered state of emotion and you fail the save, this new emotion overrides your rage.
- Overheating: If wearing chainmail or plate & chain, you will become fatigued (-2 attack & saves). If wearing basic plate, must adjust the fit for comfort, which reduces AC -2. (But if wearing no armor or using just a shield, gain a +1 AC bonus.)
- Difficulty concentrating on magic or delicate tasks; requires total concentration.
- Increased risk of chance encounters; Target Number of encounter checks increases by 1 as you find it difficult to keep quiet and patient.
- When combat begins, enter a state of Frenzy.
When a fight breaks out, the smoldering rage explodes into violence. Depending on the source of your Rage, a frenzy may be triggered in every combat or only under certain circumstances.
- +2 to Attacks.
- Upgrade weapon damage by one die type.
- Can't shoot but can throw.
- Resistant to mental effects such as charm and fear. (Some complex interactions happen here, noted below.)
- Any action besides attacking the nearest foe requires a mind-based save, and the +2 Rage bonus does not apply. This includes such actions as withdrawing, fleeing, defending, casting a spell, activating an artifact, or even moving past an opponent to attack a different one.
Resistance to mental effects in a Frenzy must be adjudicated by the referee. Some guidelines:
- Ongoing effects continue, but new ones usually can't be introduced.
- New effects might only be delayed until the end of the frenzy, however.
- While in a state of frenzy, the Rage can't be overridden unless something dramatically changes the situation.
Sources of Rage have different procedures and may alter specific interactions.
A special concoction available for 25 silver pennies.
- Spend 1 turn preparing with a quaff of water and a source of heat (like a torch)
- Make a Body save (poison). Additional doses in one day will add a -2 cumulative penalty.
- Pass: enter a Rage for 1 hour (6 turns). Frenzy in every combat.
- Fail: spend 1 turn vomiting, suffer 1 damage per HD, become fatigued (-2 AP & Saves).
Head injuries sustained when dropped to 0 hit points.
- Always in a state of Rage.
- If an altered state is induced, will revert to Rage at the end of that effect's duration
- Frenzy only when fighting humans or human-like foes
A feature of the Berserker subclass of fighter
- Invoke as a free action, in or out of combat, to enter a Rage. Frenzy in every combat.
- After combat, may choose to make a Body save vs fatigue to sustain the Rage, or may let it go and revert to normal state of mind.
- After 1 hour without combat, must choose to save & sustain or let the Rage go, as above.
- May renew invocation at cost of 1 hp per HD.
- Additional abilities, such as Renewed Rage and Relentless Rage, allow additional invocation of the Fury without the hp cost.